“Serving professionals and pre-professionals in design, production, and technology for the performing arts since 1960, the United States Institute for Theatre Technology (USITT) is a place to network, exchange ideas, and grow. USITT provides benefits, learning opportunities, and networking for over 3,700 members worldwide. For architects who design the spaces and those who create and manage the productions, our Annual Conference & Stage Expo as well as regional and local events, are where the performing arts community gathers.”
High school Stagecraft and Design students are invited to participate in a trip to Fort Worth Texas on March 26 – 29 to attend the 2014 USITT Conference and Stage Expo. What’s the value of taking a trip like this?
USITT supports and serves students, educators, and professionals who work on the technical side of the performing arts. This is not a lazy goof-off extended field trip; it is an important adjunct to our students’ education and future careers. At this conference, they will get to:
- Meet students from other technical theatre/stagecraft programs around the country.
- Observe and learn from undergrad and graduate college students who will enter their design work to compete in the Design Expo.
- Choose from more than 200 learning opportunities in the form of keynote lectures and breakout workshops in sound, lighting, architecture, safety & health, engineering, management, costuming, and more.
- Experience the Stage Expo, hosting more than 225 companies with special exhibits from around the world and interactive areas where members will display their work from the past year.
- Meet with representatives from colleges and universities around the country with theatre design/production programs.
And we’ll probably manage to have a little bit of fun and bond as a class along the way.
The trip is expected to cost in the neighborhood of $1,500 per student, but grants and other funding will be pursued which might decrease this amount. A non-refundable deposit/commitment of $300 will be due on December 2, 2013. The remainder will be payable in installments at the end of January and February.
Would you like to ask your family to give money for your USITT trip instead of a present this holiday season? Don’t know how to do it gracefully? Follow this link for a sample letter that you can copy/paste/modify for your own use: Dear Grandpa