Welcome to the 2017-18 School Year!
Below is information to help prepare you for the school year ahead. We look forward to getting the year off to a great start and hopefully the information below will answer any questions you have. A special welcome to all of our new students and families!
Stagecraft & Design Website:
You will find important resources on our web page, including the 2017-18 Handbook, at http://dsapresents.org/sd/. Please bookmark this website and use it as a resource throughout the year! The list of Required Equipment and Clothing can also be found on the website. Faculty will answer any questions you might have about the handbook and supply list at the Back-to-School Family Potluck and Informational Session on August 16 (see below).
Mark Your Calendars! Upcoming Events:
Visit the department calendar on the Stagecraft website: http://dsapresents.org/sd/calendar/
This calendar will be kept up to date throughout the school year. Please refer to it early and often!
9th Grade Academy:
- Monday, August 7 – Friday, August 11, 8:00 am – 12:00 pm
- Tuesday, August 8, 9:00 am – 3:00 pm (11th and 12th grades)
- Wednesday, August 9, 9:00 am – 3:00 pm (9th and 10th grades)
S&D Back-to-School Family Potluck and Informational Session:
Wednesday, August 16, 5:30 – 7:00 pm in the DSA Commons
9th/10th grade families – Main Dishes and Side Dishes
11th/12th grade families – Desserts and Drinks
This event is required for parents & students – Important department information will be shared, including:
- Calendar info
- Swag orders
- General department operation procedures and expectations
- Volunteer opportunities (we hope every family will take advantage of opportunities to help and become a part of our Stagecraft community!)
- USITT (United States Institute for Theatre Technology) Conference trip to Ft. Lauderdale FL in March
- Opportunity for students to sign up for crew positions for the 2017-18 school season
First day of school for new students: August 21
First day of school for everyone: August 22
Back to school night:
- Thursday, August 24, 6:00 – 8:15 pm
- Following your student’s schedule, spend 10 minutes getting to know each of their teachers and learning about each class (20 minutes in arts majors)
Quarterly S&D community meetings:
- Our first meeting will be determined based on the PTSO’s scheduled meetings, in the Design Studio (rm 154)
- We will meet once per quarter; subsequent dates TBD
- Students are also welcome and encouraged to participate
Performances and call schedules
As always, the performance schedule for the year is jam-packed, with S&D involvement in numerous shows. Check the calendar for performance information and work/run crew call schedules. We will finalize all the crew positions for the first semester during the first couple of days at school. Each student will receive a contract with their required work call/run crew responsibilities. It is your student’s responsibility to know when they are expected to be at call! If they don’t know, tell them to find out.
Here’s what is on the horizon for the first semester:
- All-School Musical – In The Heights: September 7 – 16 (many parent volunteers will be needed to staff concessions for these performances)
- Fall Play – 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee (Schomp Theatre): October 18-21
- Stagecraft & Design Haunted House: October 30
- The Melancholy Play (Black Box Theatre): November 9 – 11
- Fall Dance Concert (Schomp Theatre): November 16 – 18
- Music Concerts (Concert Hall): Many performances throughout the first semester.