PSATNMSQT COLORADO SAT
October 14, 2020 April 14, 2021
Bring sharpened pencils, a manual pencil sharpener, calculator and a watch. Make sure the watch or calculator has no internet or picture-taking ability.
No technology may be accessed, used during the test, or during breaks. Any technology seen will be taken. DSA will search pictures and texts to make sure nothing unethical was done during the test. An irregularity report will be sent to College Board. Your phone will be returned at the principal’s convenience – plan on a few days – after the College Board and DPS testing gives us an all-clear that they don’t need any more information from the phone.
If you have questions about accommodations for the test, please contact Assistant Principal Aspen Burkett no later than December 17, 2020.
Downloadable copy of the 20/21 SAT class expectations
Denver School of the Arts is committed to helping our students succeed in college readiness. As part of this process, the DSA administration is committed to assisting our students in achieving admission to the college of their choice. As part of this process we are determined to help DSA juniors be prepared for success on their college entrance exams. These exams are designed to help colleges judge students’ potential to perform academically at the college level. Lack of preparation, or introduction to the style and types of questions these exams ask of student, often sets students at a disadvantage.
Student scores on the SAT or ACT do not count for credit or a passing grade for this class. The goal is to practice for the test. All students are expected to meet the minimum class requirements – regardless of their final SAT/ACT test score.
SAT has partnered with Khan Academy. After students take the PSAT in October, they will be able to link their scores directly to Khan Academy and receive an individualized study program based on their areas of need.
Part of this preparation is taking the SAT. As part of this help, all juniors are required to be part of an SAT course. This course will be worth 5 credits on the 2nd semester of their junior transcript. This is a pass/fail class. If the course is passed, a “P” will appear on the transcript. It will not impact a student’s GPA. If the course is failed, an “F” will appear on the transcript. This will compute on the transcript as a 5 credit F on a 4.0 scale – negatively impacting the student’s GPA. The class will be in 2nd semester IC under an “ALT” section. It will not be part of the daily 8 period schedule.
The Course Requirements
- It is the student’s responsibility to check online at the “Counseling Department” website for class details. The class is listed on the top bar under “juniors”. The site will be updated as the assignments are added.
- three assignments first semester
- three assignments second semester
- all assignments will be given a due date
- Late assignments will not be accepted and cannot be excused by parents. No exceptions.
- Students must complete 5 of 6 assignments to “pass” the class
- One of the assignments will be the PSAT test on October 14, 2020. Make sure to pay the $18 fee at August registration
- One of the assignments can be substituted with proof of payment and attendance of an SAT/ACT prep class OR an SAT/ACT tutor. The class must be complete and documentation given to Miss Odom before the April 14, 2021 SAT test date. A Kaplan class – for example. Typically, a paid invoice is considered proof of attendance.
- One of the assignments can be substituted by taking a national ACT or SAT test before the April 14, 2021 SAT test date. The student is responsible for making sure that DSA receives scores for this test. This waiver may only be used once for this DSA class. Make sure DSA’s SAT/ACT code is added to any ACT/SAT test you take throughout the year: 060443. Proof of this is by turning in a copy of the entrance ticket provided by ACT/SAT.
- One of the assignments will be to attend 2 out of 10 SAT classes offered here at DSA from 2:55 pm – 3:55 pm. Class dates will be in April – two classes per afternoon. These classes are taught by DSA teachers.
- All students will receive an SAT Study Guide purchased by DSA. This guide will be distributed on the first day of the assignment.
- All assignments will be given to Assistant Principal Miranda Odom – who will log the completion into Infinite Campus. Students will “sign in” their assignments with Miss Odom.
- Being absent from school (for illness/school visits/field trip/travel/etc) is not an excuse for turning in an assignment late. All assignments are due to Miss Odom on or before the due date. No exceptions. Please plan appropriately.
- Assignments will not be given out all at once. They will be given throughout the school year.
- All communication about the class will be done through IC messenger. If the parent/student’s email address does not appear in Infinite Campus, he/she will not receive the assignment information. Both student and parent will see all communications. Please make sure you/your student’s correct email is in Infinite Campus.
- All class information, due dates, etc is listed on the DSA website:
- DSA Homepage
- Counseling Center
Downloadable Copy of Assignment #1
Will be uploaded on August 17, 2020
Downloadable Copy of Assignment #2
You will be taking the PSAT on Wednesday, Oct 14th. This is Assignment #2 for your SAT class.
You will take the test at DSA.
- Please meet outside the Schomp Theatre at DSA at 7:30 am
- Please bring 3 #2 pencils with an eraser. Pencils will not be provided. Mechanical pencils are not allowed.
- Bring a manual pencil sharpener as there is none at Johnson and Wales
- Bring a watch (no beeping sounds). I will have some small clocks in front but sometimes they are hard to see from the back of the testing hall.
- Bring a calculator.
- You may not have food or drink during testing.
- You may not have a cell phone, ipad, ipod or any other electronic devise in testing. Please do not bring it with you. You may not use a phone during break. Any phones seen in the testing room or during breaks will be taken and given to Mr. McWright. They are subject to search. McWright will return them in his own convenience.
- Will we be done before noon.
- You must attend your arts class in the afternoon
This is the only date DSA has available for the test. Please make sure to mark your calendars now.
Downloadable Copy of Assignment #3
Will be uploaded Monday, Oct 12, 2020
Downloadable Copy of Assignment #4
Will be uploaded December 2020
Downloadable Copy of Assignment #5
Will be uploaded on February 2021
Downloadable Copy of Assignment #6
You have from April 7 – April 13 to complete the assignment.
During the month of April, 5 DSA teachers will be offering one hour SAT reviews. Each teacher will be covering a different SAT test strategy and/or topic. These SAT reviews will be from 2:55-3:55. You may only receive credit for attending the class if you are there on time and stay the entire hour. No need to sign up. We encourage each DSA junior to go to each teacher one time. You will get some different pointers from each DSA staff member.
There are 10 classes total offered. In order to get credit for Assignment #6, you must attend 2 out of 10 classes. You may, of course attend as many as you would like, but two minimum. You may only visit each teacher once. This is simply because of room in their classroom. We suggest one math review and one English review. You pick the teacher and you pick the date. Your teacher will send attendance to the administration for record keeping.
This session will go over the SAT Essay Writing Basics. The plan is to look at the 10 key questions of essay writing and discuss strategies to maximize scores. We will then break down the six-point holistic rubric for the SAT writing test followed by reading and grading sample essays.
This session will be reviewing punctuation usage relevant to the SAT test. There are a number of questions that require students to know when to use commas, semicolons, and less commonly used punctuation such as dashes, colons, hyphens and parentheses. Standard usage rules will be covered, and practice questions will be used to get comfortable with the way in which punctuation questions show up on the SAT.
At this session you will be asked to bring in your hard copy of your PSAT test booklet from October and your College Board SAT book. YOU will drive this session. You will select problems you had trouble solving. Mrs. Wiseman will walk you through how to solve them.
At this session you will be asked to bring in your hard copy of your PSAT test booklet from October and your College Board SAT book. YOU will drive this session. You will select problems you had trouble solving. Mr. Agamaite will walk you through how to solve them.
At this session you will be asked to bring in your hard copy of your PSAT test booklet from October and your College Board SAT book. YOU will drive this session. You will select problems you had trouble solving. Ms. Altekruse will walk you through how to solve them.
Alternative Assignment #1
OUTSIDE TUTOR OR SAT/ACT PREP CLASS
Many DSA parents have their junior either work with an SAT/ACT tutor or take an SAT/ACT prep class. I will use that as one of the 5 assignments. To use this as an assignment option, I need a hard copy of the paid invoice turned into me before Tuesday, April 13, 2021.
DSA does not endorse of any these outside vendors. This is simply a list of outside study agencies which former juniors have used over the years for an outside tutor or class. You may select from one here or select one of your own liking. In order to use an outside tutor/class as one of the required 5 assignments, the student must give Miss Odom a copy of the paid receipt before April 13, 2021.
1) College Direction
College Direction has two courses beginning in September. They will meet for six weeks. For the schedule and registration, please go to the College Direction website at http://www.collegedirection.org. Call Susie Watts at 303-692-1918 with any questions.
1320 Pearl St #108
Boulder, Colorado 80302
3) Full Passage
6021 South Syracuse Way, Suite 109
Greenwood Village, Colo 80111
4) Princeton Review
Apply online at princetonreview.com
6) Arnita Barclay
If you have any other ideas for official outside agencies providing ACT/SAT prep, please email email@example.com
Alternative Assignment #2
TAKING A NATIONAL SAT OR ACT TEST ON A SATURDAY TEST DATE ANY TIME BEFORE APRIL 14, 2021
If your student selects to take a national SAT or ACT before our April 14, 2021 Colorado SAT date, he/she may use this as one of the 5 assignments. To use this as an assignment option, I need a hard copy of the entrance ticket into the exam before Tuesday, April 14, 2021. The student’s picture will be on the top corner of the entrance ticket. Students may use this option one time.