Class of 2021
April 16, 2020
Johnson and Wales
Meet outside the Concert Hall at 7:40 am
Bring sharpened pencils, a manual pencil sharpener, calculator and a watch. Make sure the watch has no internet or picture-taking ability.
No technology may be accessed, used during the test or during breaks. Any technology seen will be taken. DSA will search pictures and texts to make sure nothing unethical was done during the test. An irregularity report will be sent to College Board. Your phone will be returned at the principal’s convenience – plan on a few days.
Downloadable Copy of Class Overview
Denver School of the Arts is committed to helping our students succeed in college readiness. As part of this process, the DSA administration is committed to assisting our students in achieving admission to the college of their choice. As part of this process we are determined to help DSA juniors be prepared for success on their college entrance exams. These exams are designed to help colleges judge students’ potential to perform academically at the college level. Lack of preparation, or introduction to the style and types of questions these exams ask of student, often sets students at a disadvantage.
Student scores on the SAT or ACT do not count for credit or a passing grade for this class. The goal is to practice for the test. All students are expected to meet the minimum class requirements – regardless of their final SAT/ACT test score.
SAT has partnered with Khan Academy. After students take the PSAT in October, they will be able to link their scores directly to Khan Academy and receive an individualized study program based on their areas of need.
Part of this preparation is taking the SAT. As part of this help, all juniors are required to be part of an SAT course. This course will be worth 5 credits on the 2nd semester of their junior transcript. This is a pass/fail class. If the course is passed, a “P” will appear on the transcript. It will not impact a student’s GPA. If the course is failed, an “F” will appear on the transcript. This will compute on the transcript as a 5 credit F on a 4.0 scale – negatively impacting the student’s GPA. The class will be in 2nd semester IC under an “ALT” section. It will not be part of the daily 8 period schedule.
The Course Requirements
- It is the student’s responsibility to check online at the “Counseling Department” website for class details. The class is listed on the top bar under “juniors”. The site will be updated as the assignments are added.
- three assignments first semester
- three assignments second semester
- all assignments will be given a due date
- Late assignments will not be accepted and cannot be excused by parents. No exceptions.
- Students must complete 5 of 6 assignments to “pass” the class
- One of the assignments will be the PSAT test on October 16, 2019. Make sure to pay the $18 fee at August registration
- One of the assignments can be substituted with proof of payment and attendance of an SAT/ACT prep class OR an SAT/ACT tutor. The class must be complete and documentation given to Miss Odom before the April 16, 2020 SAT test date. A Kaplan class – for example. Typically, a paid invoice is considered proof of attendance.
- One of the assignments can be substituted by taking a national ACT or SAT test before the April 16, 2020 SAT test date. The student is responsible for making sure that DSA receives scores for this test. This waiver may only be used once for this DSA class. Make sure DSA’s SAT/ACT code is added to any ACT/SAT test you take throughout the year: 060443. Proof of this is by turning in a copy of the entrance ticket provided by ACT/SAT.
- One of the assignments will be to attend 2 out of 10 SAT classes offered here at DSA from 3:05 pm – 4:05 pm. Class dates will be in April – two classes per afternoon. These classes are taught by DSA teachers.
- All students will receive an SAT Study Guide purchased by DSA. This guide will be distributed on the first day of the assignment.
- All assignments will be given to Assistant Principal Miranda Odom – who will log the completion into Infinite Campus. Students will “sign in” their assignments with Miss Odom.
- Being absent from school (for illness/school visits/field trip/travel/etc) is not an excuse for turning in an assignment late. All assignments are due to Miss Odom on or before the due date. No exceptions. Please plan appropriately.
- Assignments will not be given out all at once. They will be given throughout the school year.
- All communication about the class will be done through IC messenger. If the parent/student’s email address does not appear in Infinite Campus, he/she will not receive the assignment information. Both student and parent will see all communications. Please make sure you/your student’s correct email is in Infinite Campus.
- All class information, due dates, etc is listed on the DSA website:
- DSA Homepage
- Counseling Center
Alternative Assignment #1
Outside Tutor or SAT prep class
Many DSA parents have their junior either work with an SAT/ACT tutor or take an SAT/ACT prep class. I will use that as one of the 5 assignments. To use this as an assignment option, I need a hard copy of the paid invoice turned into me before Tuesday, April 16, 2020.
DSA does not endorse of any these outside vendors. This is simply a list of outside study agencies which former juniors have used over the years for an outside tutor or class. You may select from one here or select one of your own liking. In order to use an outside tutor/class as one of the required 5 assignments, the student must give Miss Odom a copy of the paid receipt before April 16, 2020.
1) College Direction
College Direction has two courses beginning in September. They will meet for six weeks. For the schedule and registration, please go to the College Direction website at http://www.collegedirection.org. Call Susie Watts at 303-692-1918 with any questions.
1320 Pearl St #108
Boulder, Colorado 80302
3) Full Passage
6021 South Syracuse Way, Suite 109
Greenwood Village, Colo 80111
4) Princeton Review
Apply online at princetonreview.com
6) Arnita Barclay
If you have any other ideas for official outside agencies providing ACT/SAT prep, please email email@example.com
Alternative Assignment #2
Taking a national SAT or ACT test on a Saturday test date any time BEFORE April 16, 2020
If your student selects to take a national SAT or ACT before our April 16, 2020 Colorado SAT date, he/she may use this as one of the 5 assignments. To use this as an assignment option, I need a hard copy of the entrance ticket into the exam before Tuesday, April 16, 2020. The student’s picture will be on the top corner of the entrance ticket. Students may use this option one time.