Class of 2019
April ??, 2018
Johnson and Wales
Meet outside the Concert Hall at 7:35 am
Junior SAT Independent Study Class
Downloadable copy of class expectations
Denver School of the Arts is committed to helping our students succeed in college readiness. As part of this process, the DSA administration is committed to assisting our students in achieving admission to the college of their choice. As part of this process we are determined to help DSA juniors be prepared for success on their college entrance exams. These exams are designed to help colleges judge students’ potential to perform academically at the college level. Lack of preparation, or introduction to the style and types of questions these exams ask of student, often sets students at a disadvantage.
SAT has partnered with Khan Academy. After students take the PSAT, they will be able to link their scores directly to Khan Academy and receive an individualized study program based on their areas of need.
Part of this preparation is taking the SAT. As part of this help, all juniors are required to be part of an SAT course. This course will be worth 5 credits on the 2nd semester of their junior transcript. This is a pass/fail class. If the course is passed, a “P” will appear on the transcript. It will not impact a student’s GPA. If the course is failed, an “F” will appear on the transcript. This will compute on the transcript as a 5 credit F on a 4.0 scale – negatively impacting the student’s GPA. The class will be in 2nd semester IC under an “ALT” section. It will not be part of the daily 8 period schedule.
The Course Requirements
- It is the student’s responsibility to check online at the “Counseling Department” website for class details. The class is listed on the top bar under “juniors”. The site will be updated as the assignments are added.
- three assignments first semester
- three assignments second semester
- all assignments will be given a due date
- Late assignments will not be accepted and cannot be excused by parents. No exceptions.
- Students must complete 5 of 6 assignments to “pass” the class
- One of the assignments will be the PSAT test on TBD. Make sure to pay the $18 fee at August registration
- One of the assignments can be waived with proof of payment and attendance of an SAT/ACT prep class. The class must be complete and documentation given to Miss Odom by TBD. Kaplan classes – for example.
- One of the assignments can be waived by taking a national ACT or SAT test before the TBD Colorado test. The student is responsible for making sure that DSA receives scores for this test. This waiver may only be used once for this DSA class. Make sure DSA’s SAT/ACT code is added to any ACT/SAT test you take throughout the year: 060443
- One of the assignments will be to attend 2 out of 10 SAT classes offered here at DSA from 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm. Class dates will be in March and April. These classes are taught by DSA teachers.
- All students will receive a Study Guide purchased by DSA. This guide will be distributed on the first day of the assignment.
- All assignments will be given to Assistant Principal Miranda Odom – who will log the completion into Infinite Campus.
- Being absent from school (for illness/school visits/field trip/travel/etc) is not an excuse for turning in an assignment late. All assignments are due to Miss Odom on or before the due date. No exceptions.
- Assignments will not be given out all at once. They will be given throughout the school year.
- All communication about the class will be done through IC messenger. If the parent/student’s email address does not appear in Infinite Campus, he/she will not receive the assignment information. Both student and parent will see all communications. Please make sure your student’s email is in Infinite Campus
- All class information, due dates, etc is listed on the DSA website:
- DSA Homepage
- Counseling Center
Miss Odom’s room number is 106G
Possibilities for outside classes
DSA does not endorse of any these outside vendors. This is simply a list of outside study agencies which former juniors have used over the years for an outside tutor or class. You may select from one here or select one of your own liking. In order to use an outside tutor/class as one of the required 5 assignments, the student must give Miss Odom a copy of the paid receipt before April 11, 2017.
1) College Direction
College Direction has two courses beginning next week for the September 12 ACT test. They will begin on Wednesday, August 12 and will meet for six weeks. There will be a make-up session for the original August 5th class. For the schedule and registration, please go to the College Direction website at http://www.collegedirection.org. Call Susie Watts at 303-692-1918 with any questions.
1320 Pearl St #108
Boulder, Colorado 80302
3) Full Passage
6021 South Syracuse Way, Suite 109
Greenwood Village, Colo 80111
4) Princeton Review
Apply online at princetonreview.com
If you have any other ideas for official outside agencies providing ACT/SAT prep, please email email@example.com
DOWNLOADABLE COPY OF ASSIGNMENT #1
DOWNLOADABLE COPY OF ASSIGNMENT #2
You will be taking the PSAT on TBD. You will take the test at Johnson and Wales University.
- Please meet outside the Schomp Theatre at DSA at 7:40 am
- Please bring 3 #2 pencils with an eraser. Pencils will not be provided. Mechanical pencils are not allowed.
- Bring a manual pencil sharpener as there is none at Johnson and Wales
- Bring a watch (no beeping sounds) as there is not a clock in the testing room.
- Calculators are not provided. Students must bring their own.
- Social security number (optional).
- Juniors who want to be considered for scholarship opportunities, please bring your social security number with you.
- You may not have food or drink during testing.
- You may not have a cell phone, ipad, ipod or any other electronic devise in testing. Please do not bring it with you.
- Will we be done before noon.
We will see you TBD at 7:40 am outside the Schomp Theatre.
DOWNLOADABLE COPY OF ASSIGNMENT #4
DOWNLOADABLE COPY OF ASSIGNMENT #6