DSA Parents and Students
During the spring of 2019, all returning DSA high school students will select their classes for the 2019-2020 school year. The timeline will be as follows:
February 11, 2019
All DSA students (not parents) will have their Infinite Campus password reset to prepare for the 18/19 Choice of Studies. The new login will be
username: six digit ID number
password: eight digit birthday
February 15, 2019
Counseling staff will meet with each grade level in the Concert Hall. At this time, students will be shown how to log into student portal and select their 2019-2020 class choices. All students will receive a hard copy of the directions as well as their Choice of Studies Sheet. It is important to know that these are only choices. If the classes do not fill, they will not be offered. The counselors will be looking at each student’s schedule making sure they are in the appropriate classes.
February 15, 2019 – March 8, 2019
From February 12 – March 8 at noon, Infinite Campus will be available for both parents and students to log in and select classes. Selections can be changed at any point during this 3 week window. If a family does not have internet access at home, please come use the Counseling Office computers.
Brief Description of 19/20 AP Classes
This is a website by the College Board about taking AP classes in high school: http://apstudent.collegeboard.org/exploreap?ep_ch=PR&ep_mid=10674414&ep_rid=31005610
Please go to the DSA AP website to view summer assignments and class syllabi
During these months:
* the master schedule will be built
* we will accept our incoming high school students and get their course requests
* counselors will build schedules for those students who did not make their class choices online during the Feb 12 – March 8 window
* the counselors will hand touch all schedules for correct class placement
SCHEDULE DISTRIBUTION FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL – May 3, 2019
Current 6th and 7th graders will receive their 19/20 schedule.
Middle School – 6th and 7th grade
1) 6th and 7th graders will have 5 classes: major and four academic classes.
2) Foreign language is not part of the middle school academic classes.
Middle School – 8th grade
Attached to your student’s schedule will be a letter from Mr. Kohut explaining the wheel classes and a paper with course descriptions of the wheel classes.
1) 8th graders will have 8 classes – the same as the high school
2) Students will be on a black/white/stripe schedule. Black days are “odd” periods: 1,3,5,7. White days are “even” periods: 2,4,6,8. Black and White days are 95 minutes long. On Stripe Days students will see all 8 classes for 43 minutes.
3) All 8th grade major classes are in the morning.
4) All 8th grade core classes are periods 5,6,7,8
5) Wheel classes are periods 3 and 4. Most are one semester in length. They will be chosen by Miss Odom.
6) Foreign Language is not part of the middle school academic classes
7) There are some year long classes. If a student is interested in any of these classes, please have them speak with the teacher:
a) Jazz Workshop Orchestra (JWO) – Mr. Hammond (Wind Instruments – open to all majors) Room 136
b) Chamber – Mr. Hammond (Wind Instruments – open to all majors) Room 136
c) Chamber – Dr. Lasansky (String Instruments – open to all majors) Room 137
d) History Day – applications through Mr. Glassman Room 126
e) Gifted and Talented – Ms. Menetrier (speak with her if you’re interested in being in this class or only want it for one semester) SSC
f) Yearbook – applications through Ms. McGrath Room 217
8) Student Assistants. 8th graders may be a student assistant during periods 3 or 4. It is the student’s responsibility to find a teacher who would like them to be a student assist. FYI. All high school students will also be looking to student assist – so these opportunities are rare.
9) 8th graders may apply to be an assist in the main office. There will be 3 assists total for period 3 and 3 assists total for period 4. Students may turn in an application form (below). Miss Odom and Ms. Vliet (secretary who runs the Counseling Center) will talk to the 7th grade team teachers to select 6 students to be TA’s during periods 3 and 4.
Items will be uploaded on May 3, 2019
8th grade letter from Mr. Kohut
Wheel Course Descriptions for periods 3 and 4
19/20 DSA Master Schedule
Student Assistant sign up form
8th grade TAs for office areas
SCHEDULE DISTRIBUTION FOR HIGH SCHOOL – May 6, 2019
Each class will meet in the Concert Hall. All students will receive a hard copy of their 2019-2020 schedule along with directions. Since 19/20 Infinite Campus is not available for parents or students to view at home until July 2019, this hard copy is the only way to view a student’s 19/20 schedule.
MAY 6, 2019 – MAY 24, 2019 AT NOON
Students may go to the Counseling Office to sign up to see their counselor. Middle School students may sign up to see Miss Odom. Students may not wait for a counselor or Miss Odom. They must sign up and go back to class. Counselors/Miss Odom will pull the students out of class in the order they signed up. Students may speak with their counselor about possible class changes. All students must make sure to leave the office with the dated and timestamped new schedule. Make sure to keep this schedule for your records.
Adding a student assistant must be made during the month of May. No student assistants (for returning students) will be added in the fall. If a student signs up for a student assistant in the main office or counseling office, it may not be dropped for any reason. This is a full year commitment to these locations.
1) All DSA high school students must be enrolled in 6 classes during the fall semester.
2) All 9th and 10th graders must be enrolled in a minimum of 7 classes. They may have one period off.
3) All 11th and 12th graders may have 2 periods off in the fall.
Class changes not honored:
* Don’t like/want a certain teacher. You selected a class – not a teacher. If the class is on your schedule, it will stay.
* Don’t like the period. You selected a class – not a period of the day. If the class is on your schedule, it will stay where it is.
All schedule changes for the 2019-2020 school year must be made by noon on May 24, 2019. After this date, no adding of classes, no switching periods, adding a student assistant, adjusting of levels (example: AP US History to regular US History or 7th grade math to 8th grade math) will be made.