DSA Parents and Students
During the spring of 2021, all returning DSA high school students will select their classes for the 2021-2022 school year. The timeline will be as follows:
February 9, 2021
Counseling staff will meet with each grade level in the Concert Hall. At this time, students will be shown how to log into student portal and select their 2021-2022 class choices. All students will receive a hard copy of the directions as well as their Choice of Studies Sheet. It is important to know that these are only choices. If the classes do not fill, they will not be offered. The counselors will be looking at each student’s schedule making sure they are in the appropriate classes.
February 9, 2021 – February 26, 2021
From February 9 – February 26 at noon, Infinite Campus will be available for both parents and students to log in and select classes. Selections can be changed at any point during this 3 week window. If a family does not have internet access at home, please come use the Counseling Office computers.
Brief Description of 21/22 AP Classes
This is a website by the College Board about taking AP classes in high school: http://apstudent.collegeboard.org/exploreap?ep_ch=PR&ep_mid=10674414&ep_rid=31005610
Please go to the DSA AP website to view summer assignments and class syllabi
During these months:
* the master schedule will be built
* we will accept our incoming high school students and get their course requests
* counselors will build schedules for those students who did not make their class choices online during the Feb 9 – Feb 26 window
* the counselors will hand touch all schedules for correct class placement
SCHEDULE DISTRIBUTION FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL – April 30, 2021
Current 6th and 7th graders will receive their 21/22 schedule.
Middle School – 6th and 7th grade
1) 6th and 7th graders will have 5 classes: major and four academic classes.
2) Foreign language is not part of the middle school academic classes.
Middle School – 8th grade
Attached to your student’s schedule will be a letter from Mr. McWright explaining the wheel classes and a paper with course descriptions of the wheel classes.
1) 8th graders will have 8 classes – the same as the high school
2) Students will be on a black/white/stripe schedule. Black days are “odd” periods: 1,3,5,7. White days are “even” periods: 2,4,6,8. Black and White days are 95 minutes long. On Stripe Days students will see all 8 classes for 43 minutes.
3) All 8th grade major classes are in the morning.
4) All 8th grade core classes are periods 5,6,7,8
5) Foreign Language is not part of the middle school academic classes
6) WHEEL CLASSES are periods 3 and 4. Most are one semester in length. All incoming 8th graders are given an opportunity to select up to 3. The vast majority of 8th graders will receive one or two classes selected by Miss Odom. Why? We can’t give everyone every class they want. Therefore, Miss Odom tries to give all incoming 8th graders at least 2 of their choices – all 3 of possible.
Google Form to select up to 3 of the 4 wheel classes – will go live in late March 2021
Period 3 Wheel Classes
JWO (Jazz Workshop Orchestra)
Period 4 Wheel Classes
Gifted and Talented
Intro to Digital Media Arts
Investigating Digital Media Arts
7) There are some year long classes. If a student is interested in any of these classes, please have them speak with the teacher:
a) Jazz Workshop Orchestra (JWO) – Mr. Hammond (Wind Instruments – open to all majors) Room 136
b) Chamber – Dr. Lasansky (String AND Wind Instruments – open to all majors) Room 137
c) History Day – applications through Mr. Glassman Room 126
d) Gifted and Talented – Ms. Haubelt SSC
8) Student Assistants. 8th graders may be a student assistant during periods 3 or 4. It is the student’s responsibility to find a teacher who would like them to be a student assist. FYI. All high school students will also be looking to student assist – so these opportunities are rare.
9) 8th graders may apply to be an assist in the main office and counseling office. These students are selected by Miss Odom. She asks the 7th grade team for recommendations and goes by these recommendations.
Items will be uploaded on April 30, 2021
8th grade letter from Principal McWright
Items will be uploaded on May 3, 2021
21/22 Master Schedule
SCHEDULE DISTRIBUTION FOR HIGH SCHOOL – May 3, 2021
Current 8th and 11th graders will receive their 21/22 schedule.
Each class will meet in the Concert Hall. All students will receive a hard copy of their 21/22 schedule along with directions. Since 21/22 Infinite Campus is not available for parents or students to view at home until July 2021, this hard copy is the only way to view a student’s 21/22 schedule.
MAY 3, 2021 – MAY 27, 2021 AT NOON
Schedules will be viewable through Student Portal from Monday, May 3rd – Thursday, May 27th.
If you would like to make a schedule change, please fill out the google form below. The deadline for schedule changes is May 27, 2021 at noon. No schedule changes will be honored after this May 27th deadline.Incoming High School Google Form – will go live on May 3, 2021
Incoming HS Google Form – will go live on May 3, 2021
Adding a student assistant must be made during the month of May. No student assistants (for returning students) will be added in the fall. Students must contact the teacher directly. If that teacher wants a TA, the teacher will contact Miss Odom with the information.
1) All DSA high school students must be enrolled in 6 classes during the fall semester.
2) All 9th and 10th graders must be enrolled in a minimum of 7 classes. They may have one period off.
3) All 11th and 12th graders may have 2 periods off in the fall.
CLASS CHANGE REQUESTS NOT HONORED:
* Don’t like/want a certain teacher. You selected a class – not a teacher. If the class is on your schedule, it will stay.
* Don’t like the period. You selected a class – not a period of the day. If the class is on your schedule, it will stay where it is.
All schedule changes for the 2021-2022 school year must be made by noon on May 27, 2021. After this date, no adding of classes, no changing class choices, no switching periods, adding a student assistant, adjusting of levels (example: change AP US History to regular US History) will be made.
Incoming Freshmen and Sophomores
If you are considering taking AP (Advanced Placement) Human Geography (freshmen only) or AP US History (sophomores only), we STRONGLY suggest both student and parent watch these information AP videos:
AP Human Geography
for incoming freshmen
AP US History
for incoming sophomores
Freshmen Video about Choice of Studies
Sophomore Video about Choice of Studies
Junior Video about Choice of Studies
Senior Video about Choice of Studies
freshmen choice sheet
sophomore choice sheet
junior choice sheet
senior choice sheet
Will be uploaded May 2021
21/22 Master Schedule